Title VI-Parent Advisory Committee
Havre Public Schools Title VI Indian Education Parent Advisory Committee
WHO SHOULD BE ON THE INDIAN PARENT COMMITTEE?
The Indian Parent Committee membership will include the following:
- Parents and family members of eligible Native Children enrolled in the LEA (local education agency).
- Representatives of Native Tribes on Indian Lands located within 50 miles of any school that the agency will serve if such Tribes have any children in the school.
- Teachers in the schools; and
- If appropriate, Native students attending secondary schools of the agency. (Section 6114 (c) (4) of Part A, Title VI).
The LEA must establish the Indian Parent Committee according to its own procedures for establishing such committees. More than one-half of the total number of Indian Parent Committee members must be parents and family members of eligible Native children.
WHAT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE INDIAN PARENT COMMITTEE?
The responsibilities of the Indian Parent Committee are as follows:
- The Indian Parent Committee consults with the LEA on the development, operation, and evaluation of the program through the application process.
- The Indian Parent Committee approves the Title VI Indian Education Formula grant application and any amendments.
- The Indian Parent Committee establishes and abides by reasonable by-laws.
- The Indian Parent Committee determines the frequency of the Indian Parent Committee meetings.
WHAT ARE THE ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE LEA IN ADMINISTERING THE PROGRAM?
The roles and responsibilities of the LEA in administering the program are as follows:
- Submits the application and signs the program assurances.
- Ensures the program is carried out in compliance with federal statutes, regulations, and the terms and conditions of the federal award.
- Administers the Title VI Indian Education Formula grant program and program services.
- Employs and supervises the performance of project staff.
- Fiscal management and obligation funds.
- Maintains all grant records.
U.S. Department of Education Office of Indian Education (OIE)
Indian Education Formula Grant Program
Monday March 6th, 2023
High School Library